Straight jackets are on your left, meds are on the table and if you hurry, you can still get a seat in group therapy!

Oh...and thanks for stopping bye!!!

Thursday, March 11

Trying to make the right decision

I'm normally someone that can come to a quick decision. The last two days, I'd say I have not been as confident in the decision making. Thank God I have a such a supportive husband who has a sound mind. I spent more than half of yesterday in the hospital. I had been throwing up from 6:30 yesterday morning to approx. 4:00. I began to experience chest pains, numbing feeling in my upper body, abdominal pain and dizziness. Keep in mind, I had not kept anything down since Monday evening.

I called Fred about 3:00 and asked him to come and get me and take me to the hospital. I was terrified of what I was feeling. (Before continuing, I should apologize to all the patrons driving on Battlefield Blvd. that saw me toss my cookies as we stopped 4 times on our journey to the hospital.) After spending most of the night there, it was determined that the cookie tossing is due to the hyperemesis, which is causing some of the abdomen pain. The rest of the abdomen pain is due to contractions that I am experiencing. The chest pains?...well all this is putting a light strain on my heart. My blood pressure is low and I have no energy. Once I got what the Dr's call stabilized, but I call function able, I was released. Why was I released??? I know that's what your asking. I was asking the same. EMMA! Through all this, she is doing fabulous!! The hospital monitored her through all this and she is under no circumstances being compromised from any of this. Surprising huh? She technically is causing all this for me, but is in no way being effected. I don't understand it. So this morning I had to have my NST testing and Dr. visit and was hit with this:

Dr: "Due to everything that you are experiencing, I think we should consider a new option."

Fred: "What kind of option? Can we just induce her now so that all this will stop? I know Emma is fine, but I'm worried about my wife."

Dr: "I am too, but I am not confident with inducing her without knowing how far along the babies lungs have developed. She will end up in the NIC Unit and most babies born early without developed lungs tend to have a lot more breathing problems in the long run."

Me: "So what alternatives do I have?" (As the tears are streaming down my face)

Dr: "I don't normally recommend this, but it is an option. We can do amniocentesis."

(My tears start flooding now)

Dr: "This will allow us to test the fluids in her lungs and see how developed they are. I'm not a fan of this procedure bc this procedure can cause your water to break earlier than expected and all though its rare this late in the pregnancy, there is a risk of terminating the pregnancy."

I could not even speak at this point. Thank God Fred started asking all the questions and expressing all the concerns that I could not get out. Up to this point in my life as a parent, this has been the hardest thing I've come across.

After composing myself and talking with Fred, we decided against it. I know that the next two weeks physically will be extremely tough on me and my body and God only knows what will happen, but I just can't justify taking that risk. (Any readers...I would love to know what you think or if you have had to have an amniocentesis. I realize I do not know all the pros and cons and would like to hear your experiences with this. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a comment anonymously using I think your email.)

Fred and I came to this decision together and we vowed we are going to get through this together. Any and all prayers are welcomed.


  1. It is my understanding that an amnio is done in conjunction with an ultrasound so they can detect the baby. I've never had one done so I can't vouch for the procedure but I'm pretty damn certain it's not a comfortable thing to endure.

    As far as the baby is concerned, I've had friends who have delivered far earlier than where you're at right now (you're nearly full term) and their children are healthy, happy & no worse for wear.

    I do not doubt for one minute that this was an extremely difficult decision to make...especially in the short time you had to make the decision in (not to mention how quickly the news was thrown at you).

    Was this your regular OB suggesting it? (just curious)

    I'm really sorry that pregnancy has taken such a toll on you & your body. I had such the opposite. At least you know that you're in the "home stretch" and that you're being taken care of. Just take it easy, stay on bed rest & try to relax the best that you can.

  2. I am so sorry you are going through this. Have they given the baby steroids yet to mature the lungs? My water broke at 28 weeks and the first thing they did was give me steroids for the babies lungs. He was born at 33 weeks and had no breathing problems at all.

    Now he did have to stay in the NICU for 17 days due to feeding issues, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Yes it was hard going home without a baby, but he got the best care possible while in there.

    I know that everything will be fine. I would ask about the steroids.

    Good luck Sweetie!