Welcome

Straight jackets are on your left, meds are on the table and if you hurry, you can still get a seat in group therapy!

Oh...and thanks for stopping bye!!!

Monday, March 19

Gossip

Webster’s Dictionary Defines gossip as “often malicious talk; a person who spreads sensational or intimate facts.”

Yup…that sounds about right.  I know, because in my early twenties I used to thrive on gossip.  I loved it!  It kept me busy.  It was who I was.  It created relationships and it burned relationships. It’s been a slow process, but I believe I have grown from that stage in my life.  I can’t say that I am 100% perfect, but I have come a long way.  I’ve def. matured and I don’t talk about others just to be mean and nasty. I guess you can say I’ve lost my “motivation” for it.

What motivates people to gossip? There are many reasons why I think people feel compelled to gossip....therefore, humiliate and put others down.  Spite...just because “you can” or because you feel you can benefit from its end result and possibly look better. Psychological studies have proven that it’s the feeling of superiority that results from such vicious spreading of information. It may make you feel superior because you have information to offer that someone else doesn’t necessarily have.  They may say "knowledge is power", but gossiping about someone else doesn’t make you any better or smarter than the person you’re talking about.

Like I said, I lived it. I would gossip about things that actually happened, but I enhanced it to make it more interesting.  It became more like storytelling, rather than gossiping. I grew up with a father who was and still is a "storyteller".  Just recently that was pointed out to me and it was like a light bulb went off.  Its def. true that one’s actions really do affect others. (And when I say others, I mean children.  If you’ve never heard the song “Watching You” by Rodney Atkins, I def. recommend looking it up.  It hits the nail on the head.)

Getting back on track…

All gossip is bad, even the casual gossip about things that really don’t mean anything. We have all probably fallen victims to rumors and gossip at one time or another in our lives. It’s up to us to determine if we are going to follow the same path, or move on and learn from it.

It took me having my children to decide to learn and grow from it.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment